Thursday, June 4, 2009

Song of the Day - June 4, 2009

I read about Eli Paperboy Reed & The True Loves in, of all things, a newspaper last year. Shows you that I am a Luddite, despite this blog, my website, my Twitter presence, etc. Typically, I approach any R&B singers as white, or whiter, than me with a healthy dose of skepticism that could fell an elephant. But Eli's the real deal. He works in a vein similar to that of Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings, and his fervor and sound very nearly approach that of James Brown before he became super bad. This performance, from the Jools Holland show, is a song that originally appeared last year on his nitty, gritty, sweat-soaked Roll With You album. With out further ado, experience Take My Love With You and you'll want to take it with you wherever you go. Killer soul. And look who's singing back up. Why it's Solange. And it's her birthday, too. Or was...

No comments:

Post a Comment