Sunday, June 14, 2009

Why can't we be friends on Twitter?

Social media. It's about being social. So it surprises me that there are people on Twitter who can follow me, but I can't see their stream unless I register with them as a follower.

I guess they think they are special. I guess they think that they have something proprietary. But it reminds me of the days in school when kids had gum but wouldn't share it. Or they picked me last for the team in gym class. There's something vaguely elitist about it. If you aren't going to be open and social, why be on Twitter?

My feed - @MrWordsWorth - is open to any and all to join. And if you aren't trying to sell me on something that will make me rich, or you have an interest that parallels one of mine, I'll follow you back. But if you are going to put restrictions on how social you are, then you're being anti-social. I say loosen up. Open up your heart and let the sunshine in.

No comments:

Post a Comment