Monday, June 15, 2009

Song of the Day - June 15, 2009

I searched high and low so I could find a proper link to the Song of the Day I've chosen for #musicmonday on Twitter, but to no avail. Which is a shame because Direction by Grin is a hard rock gem that deserves a wider audience.

Grin, you probably don't know, was Nils Lofgren's first band. Signed to Spindizzy, a David Briggs (a long-time Neil Young producer and associate) imprint distributed by Columbia, the band pumped out four albums, earning only minor interest. Direction was a cut on the very first self-titled LP, released when Lofgren was in his teens.

The first time I heard this song was on an anthology I purchased in a cheapie bin in my local second-hand record store. As it happened, the album had a scratch that necessitated its placement in the cheapie bin, and it cut through this song.

Listening to the impassioned vocals and chiming guitar of Direction , I can't figure out why Lofgren didn't blow up big. Certainly, the Grin albums are all worthy additions to your collection, and at least a few of his A&M albums, particularly the self-titled solo debut, are essential, just like Direction. It was the start of a good career that should and could have been great if a few more ears had been kind enough to hear.

Favorite line in the song: 'Just be the shore/and I'll be the wave.'Can't tell you how many times I've wanted to steal that one... BTW, Lofgren might have become a member of the Rolling Stones after Mick Taylor left, but he apparently missed a phone call, or something like that...

No comments:

Post a Comment