Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Verse: before

You did not know me
before you knew autumn
but I was not always
burdened by this
intricate shadow
that decays like
the autumn that
you knew
before me

You did not know me
because I wasn't
camouflaged by
the tired flesh
of opulent lovers
the cancer of heartache
had not yet furrowed
my brow or compromised
the camouflage
you knew
before me

You did not know me
before the ceasefire
when my heart was mercenary
but my hands were clean
when I surrendered
and made my concessions
you returned to the war
you knew
before me

You did not know me
before I was infected
with calumnious love
and so you proceeded
with a surgeon's precision
to harvest my heart
before I knew what
it was for
and relieve me of
the love
you knew
before me

You did not know me
until they told you
of my transgressions
and for your pleasure
they catechized me
and tried to seduce me
but never relieved me of
the want
I knew
before you

No comments:

Post a Comment