Thursday, April 22, 2010

Verse: Kuwumáras

I wrote
your name in
an awkward pause

I made
a black wing bird
an envoy

to bring
you mine
which I gave up

I turned passion
into a science
so I could dissect it

and I took
the parts that didn't fit
and made a collage

and I only
revealed it
to strangers

just because
I wanted
an impartial opinion

I learned
to say love
in Algonquin

and in Arabic
just in case
anyone questioned me

and then
I took everything
out of this that I could

everything that could
be construed
as a cliche

everything
you'd recognize
as yours

only then
did I determine
it was safe

for me
to go ahead
and put you in

and if this
feels familiar
somehow

it's different
but only because
it's you.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely and delicious. Would you allow it to be published in a newspaper?

    ReplyDelete