Friday, August 14, 2009

Verse: Frisson

The universe
mysterious and cool
eludes us
as a magician would
swallows us
in a clandestine kiss

Breathe
but you will not
inhale it
cry
but you will not
resolve it
reach
but you will not
cosset it
endless
venerated
and taciturn

the querulous wind
does not hear
the senescent sun
does not see
the lugubrious ocean
will not tell you
you are loved
they only abnegate

All that you are
is all that dreams
are made of
you are brief
and swift
and hard to pin down
but fragments do
reveal you
prescient
and presently

I ask only
that you come to me
now and
do not delay
I am lost
I am ugly
I am gone

1 comment:

  1. This one is really quite tremendous. I love the line "breathe/but you will not inhale it." Sometimes life is just flat-out too big.

    ReplyDelete